Tag Archives: herringbone stitch

TAST Catchup: Raised Herringbone Band

I did a little bit of catch up, here is the raised herringbone band stitch of the TAST challenge.

I was not impressed with my first trial, mainly because 6 strands of normal stranded cotton thread is not quite enough to give good coverage on my aida fabric. So the stitch looks somewhat ragged.

For my next trial, I did long stitches spanning all along the band, then covered them with the smaller stitches the original pattern calls for. As you can see, this creates better coverage and imho also makes the herringbone band sits better on the slightly raised stitches.

I did the same for the third and last sample of the stitch. I also wrapped the herringbone stitches differently for a chance. I quite like this variant.

Advertisements

Herringbone filling

Now here is the herringbone filling from Elizabeths blog as promised. Sorry to all those I’m making fall asleep from boredom with this. It is so simple but took me much more time to figure out than more difficult stitches, and now I want to share the fun.

First, do a row of herringbone stitch as shown.
Start the next row 2 threads below the first one, working in the opposite direction.
hbf1-vw

At the top, the stitches of the second row are placed under the stitches of the first row.
hbf2-vw

Start the third and all following rows 2 threads under the previous one. Remeber to always work to and fro, and try to find comfortable working positions by turning the fabric between rows.
hbf3-vw

Here you see a few finished rows, and some more in pearl cotton 3 which gives better coverage on this fabric.
hbf4-vw

A closeup of the nicer section.
hbf5-vw


Stitch Invention by Stupidity

So I saw a herring bone stitch variant used as filling stitch at Quieter Moments. Elizabeth had provided instructions, but I found them rather vague and struggled a bit.

First thing do a row of herringbone stitch. Start the second row right under the first one, leaving only one thread space between them.
stich1-vw

On the upper side of the fabric, you have little change but work the next herringbone stitch on top of the previous row.
stich2-vw

Continue like this, always making sure you work the stitch over all existing threads from previous stitches. Four rows done, the last one requires some care to really work over all existing stitches. Make sure you always work to and fro to get that braiding effect, turn the fabric as needed to find a comfortable working position for every row.
stich3-vw1

After four rows, I was at a loss. I found that I have no change but start a new packet of stacked stitches. For that, start the next row 2 threads under the pevious one and work the stitches at the top under the previous row. Complete the “packet” of four rows like the previous one.
stich4-vw

Two rows of the combined stitches finished.
stich5-vw

The whole sampler from a distance, to show the overall effect.
stich6-vw

What do you say? This doesn’t quite look like Elizabeths’s work? Yeah right, it happened as the title states. They say lazy vacations reduce the IQ, I seem to be a good example for this LOL.

Don’t worry, I have figured out how to do the real stitch by now. I will post detailed instructions on that soon, although it really is so easy that I made a fool of myself already.


Tast 1 – Herringbone stitch

This block is mainly about the take a stitch tuesday(tast) challenge from Sharon Bogon . Basically, it’s about trying out a new embroidery stitch every week.

When starting this, I decided I would do a DIN-A-4 sized sampler for every stitch. That would give me enough room to play. I originally intended to iron them on semi-rigid vilene and keep them in a ring binder, but I’m no longer sure about that. Originally I did have a “spend no money on this” policy in place, but that faltered quickly once I went to browse the embroidery shops again and saw all these wonderful yarns. But I did use scrap fabric had at home.

Now, the first stitch was herringbone. I learned this one at elementary school and hated it with a passion back then. Consequently, I struggled with it quite a bit. This sampler took me all January, and is still a WIP

I did some drawn thread work with it, and that was the part i enjoyed most. The little flower is shadow stitch on organza. Shadow stitch is herringbone stitch done on the back side of transparent fabric. The red thing is a leftover from a crochet project I was working on during the same time. Couldn’t resist adding it, although it doesn’t fit too well.

Now here it is, please click on the picture to see it full size.

herringbone stitch sampler

Tenar


%d bloggers like this: