I miss embroidery of late, so I dug out one of my unfinished samplers. I found it needs some serious finishing work. I was made from a commercial linen band that is supposed to be ready to use. But…. the drawn thread seams are already coming loose. So, I have no choice but sew around it again in drawn thread stitch. And believe me, these days I do have other passtimes than endless hours of mindless sewing. So, chances are I’ll use some fabric from my stash again next time, when I have to do this anyway I can as well save some money. Since TAST, the old one stitch a week challenge by Sharon Bogon, is on hold now and has been so for some time I’ll have to decide how to proceed, until I’m done with the drawn thread work I will just document what I already have done last year. So this is what the seam of this band looked like after embroidering the band normally. and this is how it looks after working ordinary drawn thread stitch over it. By the way, here I have shown how to do this. And now there is the first part of the sampler, after finishing work was done at this part. I know, this is one of the parts of the sampler you have seen before, but I want to show it from beginning to end this time.
Some time 2008 I started my first band sampler, after failed grandiose plans of one big sampler for each TAST stitch 2007. It didn’t get finished because another TAST started for which I made a new sampler. This one got lost at some point. 2011 I started another band sampler. by that time Sharon bogon’s big sampler was already online to inspire me. I very much loved the concept of life-long sampling, but always working in the same format, on more or less compatible materials? I could not bring myself to do that.
Now, my idea was to create a lot of band samplers of approximately the same length, and just hang them together. I even tried to kind of coordinate the color shemes of the new samplers to make this feasible.
Another idea was to include samplers of other fiber crafts, like knitting, but I’m not quite sure about that.
Another thing I’m not sure of is weather I should makes them all the same length or have some variation. I guess time will tell.
Now here are the samplers, side by side.
And these are their upper ends, together with standard a match box for sizing.
I have shown parts of them because of TAST, but nor always in the right order. one fine day I will start documenting them as whole, maybe when the first one gets finally finished.
Below the fold there are some more pics. By the way, I started 2 more bands since I took the pics for this posting. But they are for another day..
So here it is, my finished piece for Sharon’s sumptuous surfaces class.
It is a study of the colours of a hawthorn flower, see
The inspiration photograph
the design process
This week’s TAST stitch is barred chain stitch and alternating barred chain stitch.
got to know this stitch during the first TAST and use it a lot for ragged lines.
This week I mostly spent gardening. Spring is slowly arriving here, the bushes are still bare, and I spent a lot of the time cutting the bushes in my garden to shape. So I stidtche some bushes. I’m not sure if I’m leaving this section as is or add some more, but I wanted to post something in time this time round.
So this week’s TAST stitch is cretan stitch.
Since my sold sampler is full, I started a new one on the next band-like thing I found that doesn’t need prep work before I can begin. I’m not sure about it at all. I added some browns to the color scheme to coordinate it with the first one and keep it from looking saccharine.
This was my cretan stitch sampler for the first TAST challenge. I can’t decide if I’m calling it done or add some more.