When I posted my finished piece Rose in the Rain I promised to post a making-of. I know it took too long for the tastes of most readers but here you go. Warning: I’s image-heavy.
When I feel like messing arround with paint there is no better thing than monoprinting with acrylics. I wanted this piece to be kind of intuitive, so that looked like the way to go. Also, you can create additional texture with this technique when you use lot of gel.
For my technique, I cut up a plastic shopping bag and paint on the inside. the acrylics get heaviely mixed with regular glossy gel medium and some water, I used a no name product from a German painting supply house, Boesner. Fluid gel medium is even better, but I want only so many expensive paint bottles arround when I don’t know when I’ll use them.
This is how my pallette looks when mixing the paints, you see I’m using lots of gel:
This is how I apply the mix to the shopping bag. It should be applied rather thickly so that it can form additional texture later.
This is the whole painted plastic surface. it is then put on the paper, GENTLY pressed with hands or foam roller and carefully peeled off.
Well, and this is how the result looks when you press too hard. And yes, this was the big piece of precious paper that later became my rose embroidery.
Of course I didn’t want to throw it out, so I painted over it until it looked acceptable. Looking at the finished thing now, I think this failure was an amazing case of serendipidity.
This is an example for yummy gel texture. You only get this with monoprinting.
Of course, after this I had to try my luck again. I did a small tryout print, and it turned out just as it should. I still haven’t done anything further with this one, maybe I should. But not sure what, it looks so, well, orderly.