Again, no update for a long time. And this time I even blame my craft. I have bought wool for a pullover on a whim and can’t wait to see it finished, so I’m as busy as I can be. More on this project will come soon.
In Germany, we call works in uncounted long and short stitch “needlepainting”, while regular or counted long and short stitch is often regarded as a variant of brick stitch, Barghello work or even satin stitch. I’m in fact planning to include a section of this with the satin stitch sampler, so I’m leaving it out here. I knew about this kind of work, but have never really done it before. Because it seems rather tendious I’m not doing a complete sampler, just a little tryout piece this time. And while I didn’t get very far with it until now I post a little bit about how I’m doing it.
First, I chose a photograph of a rose, which can be seen here. The deviantart account of the photographer is here and of course I asked them for permission. Then, I cut out the rose blossom, converted it to black and white and a suitable size for printing it out, and tweaked the contrast and brightness a bit. This is the result:
Then, I took transparent drawing paper and traced the outlines of the petals with a black fineliner. Unfortunately I didn’t scan that before the next step.
Next, I used a pencil for producing iron-on patterns (can anybody tell me the proper English name for that please?) to trace the lines of that drawing on the backside. (Please don’t bother with downloading and rezizing this, I’ll post a cleaned up version with better resolution when I get round to it). If you trace the motif directly with this pen you will end up with a mirrored image on the fabric.
In order to make working easier for me, I traced the rose a second time and shaded that drawing with a pencil, to get a feeling for the motif and which shades of colour should be used where.
Now I was finally ready to iron it onto fabric and start stitching. I used cambric because I have a large stash of it, but probably calico or another somewhat heavier smooth fabric would be better. The last picture shows the ironed-on pattern and the beginnings of the embroidery. Click on it to enlarge it. (I just noticed that I scanned the two drawings from the wrong side of the transparent paper -will have to change that some time)